Sunday, August 31, 2008

A visit to Nana Theresa and Boston Commons




We saw Nana T this morning before our trip to Boston and after Mass. Her room was moved to a section that is more intense and closer to the nurse station. He view is very impaired, she is in a room that has a small window blocked by the other building. Her other room had a hugh 12 foot long window. She said she likes the small window b/c the light hurts her eyes. I would of taught that the large window would make you feel less confined. Oh well. Her love and gratefulness when she sees us makes it all worth it. She is in a single and has her own full bath. We had to wake her up b/c the nurse said these days she sleeps most of her day and night. Not a good sign I would think. After we woke her she knew RIGHT AWAY ...Stephie....It makes me feel so good when she does "get it" ....It lasted for only a lil bit then she was off in a world of weird comments and questions. She asked how Paula was and I said fine. I can;t get into it that her daughter is gone even tough sometimes she talks about her death and what a shame it is she is gone before her. She knew it was Sunday but not tha the summer was almost over b/c she said something about how can we be wearing shorts in the winter. We told her it was Labor Day tom. and she said yes yes it is. Oh well. We fed her cookies b/c she really is the cookie monster...lol
Off to Boston with goodbyes to Nana T. I thanked the nurse b/c this new area seems to have some really caring gals. Her other section they were good and all but did not give the attention she now needs like in the place she is at now. It is way more hospital like now unlike the "home" feel of her other location. We told her we were going to Boston and that Stephen was at his friends at a lake in NH and she said you have to drive far. I said no Boston right through the tunnel.She said oh Quincy Market and the wonderful North End. You know Stephie Papa loved to take you to show you off to all his friends at the club in the North End. So funny how stuff pops in and then is gone in a flash. I was teary when she first woke up b/c of how happy she looks when she sees us. Then I compose facing away from her. Then she says something like that and water works again so I have to turn and pretend to do something. I am really sad b/c nobody knows where her 85th b-day bear is. On her 85th b-day (last time she was at our house) we got her a souped up b-day bear from BABW....She loves that thing. When we come she asks us to get it out...she remembers that we gave it to her. Then she bounces it and calls it gwunda bella.....how beautiful and pecha sotha......yeah I won't say what that is....lol I want her to have that bear. The new nurses have no idea but her pictures did make the move. So our loves and please come back and thanks from her as we leave. Breaks my heart to leave. Off to Boston we went with a tunnel fee of $3.50.....WHAT! when did that go up so high.....oh my...
We had fun in Boston. I was ok with the crowds. Suffolk U had students unloading across from the Commons and the street was a mess. Tons of people in Boston. We drove all over the place and made our way far to the Northeastern U area before heading home for Ry to see where Dad went to school. I must say driving in Boston is a chore in itself. It was a great day, lots of walking to burn the fat...lol and a really yummy grilled chicken salad from Quincy Market despite all the mega high calorie options. Ry loves Bearded Papas the custom cream puff place and got one. I must say I am not even temped b/c I know just how well I have been doing and don't want to mess it up. I knew that tonight before Big Brother I will have my Soy ice bar from TJS. We went there on the way home and got some really cool things. I love shoppin there. I make atleast one trip a week to get the awesome TJS stuff. M got a really good lookin burger that really looked awesome. I must say I am glad he got mushrooms on it b/c I would of asked for a nibble but yuck mushrooms. I am waitin for BB to start and brownies for toms BBQ are in the oven. BB shouls be a good one tonight, as it always is. Have a good night. Sorry so long winded/typed.....

3 comments:

Norma said...

You know someone swiped Nana's bear and that is NOT COOL. Sounds like she really enjoyed your visit and was fairly "on" today. Poor thing that you and she have to go through this and for so long. Hope that all the time she's sleeping she's having happy dreams about Papa Steve and Baby Stephie and all the time you spent together on Barnes Ave. when life was so much less complicated.

Jennifer said...

Awww Steph, my heart break for Nana T. They need to find that bear. If I was there, I would have ripped the place apart til' found. Check you all out, coming out of the woods and into the city. Did you feel gangster? I don't want you to be sad about Nana T. You are very very lucky to have so many fond memories and be such an Angel to her. She loves you more than you know. I know that she is probably not happy with her life at the moment but at least she has you and those tacky Build a Bears to make her smile. Make Nana T another one of those damn things. lol lol lol..see I made you laugh. Well you gave me a few tears when I read your blog, so I got you back sista...P.S. darken your font, I was sitting too close to the screen to read your blog Helen Keller....lmaoooooooooooo

Stephie Says..... said...

thanks so much for the support....
all of you.....xoxoox