Monday, October 02, 2006

The Topsfield Fair...

...the oldest fair in our country, so the sign states. We will be there Thursday afternoon. Michael was able to buy reduced rate tickets from the bank. That is a help because the Fair is now $10.00 for adults and $6.00 for children. And what do you get for $10.00 you ask. A walk through the gate. Yes you and a lucky guest for $20.00 can mosey on through the turnstyle and enter to a world of smelly cow pooh and oil scents of the frydough queen. You may even take in a few whifs of pig smell with a nice aroma of gas on the side. It is a treasuretrove of smells. We do however enjoy our yearly visits. About 17 or so years ago Michael and I went there on a "date", it has been a tradition ever since. Back then we were just 2 people in the crowd. These days at the fair we walk about 3 feet and chat with all the other locals that we know from the TRI-Trown.....We cannot walk around without saying at least 500 hellos to fellow Middletonites and locals from church ect. It is like one big block party. It makes you think of the days 17 years ago when you were just another fair patron. Last year Ryan entered a freehand pencil drawing for the "artist" exihbit. He got an entry blue ribbon and many people mentioned they saw it was his. He did not place because his entry was "political" I guess politics and the fair do not mix. He drew an airplane (Army style) in the backround with an American Flag and an Airforce Solider saluting the flag and had the title as "Support Our Troops, God Bless America" ....I guess both the political and relg. aspects made it "an entry" and not a contender. Well I read the rules and regs and I guess I did not read them closely. So this year when the form came in the mail Ryan declned despite our encouragement to enter. We were not going to push him. I recall how proud he was when we were at the fair last year and his old art teacher came up to him and was so happy to see one of her students work. She made a hugh deal that he was her only student that has ever entered and he had the abilty to have an enrty worth entering. (got all that ) ....So I will be a bit sad to go to the art exhit hall and not see a Ryan original.(it now hangs proudly in his room) So this years fair also brings a step in the "growing" up stage for Stephen. He was at opening night on Friday. His best friend who lives in Topsfield (residence get opening night tickets free) had an extra ticket for him to go to opening night for free. We were hesitant to drop off and p/u and not be there. With lots of thinking and trusting we "let him go". Don't get me wrong my belly was in knots for 5 hours. Yes from 3:30-8:30 he was at the fair with "friends" and not us. Funny when you live in a small town how many people know you and "watch" out for the other kids. You can't do wrong when all eyes are watching. I have no notion that he would do worng because he has a great head on his shoulders and is a leader not a follower, the hard part is the "letting go" part. I know we can't be with then 24/7 but they are our"babies", they will always be our "babies". SO back to the fair stuff. We saw that Thursday is going to be at the most 63*..........We have gone to the fair in hot weather and it is not the same. It has to be cool, crisp, and fall like to truely be "The Fair".....SO folks I will give reports on how it goes and how yummy the bad for you fair food is.......Have a great day,,,stay warm by giving lots of bear huggggssss!

5 comments:

melissa said...

Fried dough YUM!
Wow, how great about your son's art, last year!
And the bigger one going to the Fair alone-YIKES! Is this what I'm in for????? (My big one is 10 1/2)
Down here they can DRIVE at 15, so at least your safe from that!

Stephie Says..... said...

15...........15 DRIVE ,,,,,Mel that is NUTS............15 Yikes...
Yes Stephen is a mature 13 almost 14 so we tought it time to venture...also last Sat we left him and 2 friends off at the movies but stayed at the shopping plaza to be in eyes view lol.....

Drew said...

Stephie, my oldest is 19 and has such a great head on her shoulders...but I still worry. I think it will ever be so.

Stephie Says..... said...

I could not agree more with that comment AJB...I was like "it is a fair" a public place that I did not know a ten yr olds picture was a political statement. As if.....I am keeping an eye out this year for any more "entries" as they call'em not contenders....

anonymous blogging woman..... said...

fried dough sounds good to me! i've never been to the topsfield fair (at least I don't think I have)...but its probably the same as the Marshfield Fair...just bigger...Kenny and I have sworn off fairs until we have children...to expensive to smell cow, pig, chicken and horse poop!