Thursday, December 21, 2006

To shy to show off his talent.....

Today at Ryans school there will be a 3 hour time set aside for the school (grades 4-6, Ry is in 5th) children to show off their talents in front of everyone on stage. A student can pair up with a friend or go solo. Of course my RY is way to shy to have an entire school, teachers and all watch his awesome talent for drawing or even his Lego building skills. At drop off today (much more crowded than regular, parents had to drive b/c bus ride limits items taken on the bus) there were so many bags and boxes being brought in by the kids who are more than willing to display their talents. Ry is just not one of them who does not like to be ohed and ahed at, nor does he like to be the center of attention, just like his mother, NOT! I am ok with that but just wish he were as proud of his talents as Michael and I are as well as his big brother. Stephen draws well but still goes to Ry when he needs that extra look of finish in his drawing. (They do not get that skill from me, I have seen first graders draw better than I do) For a week now I can hear Stephen telling Ryan "why not just bring in some stuff, or take in some Lego things to show". Then Ryan comes to us and says "he is making me do it", We are like huh? he is being encouraging. Well, we did not push the issue. This morning Ryan told us about one of the boys in his Lego Robotics before school program who is taking in one of the creations the class did. Ryan thinks that they should all take the credit b/c four boys put the work into it. So we told Ry to speak up and say something. Once again not an agressive kid and he keeps his words to himself. So I am dying to hear the story if the other 2 boys go to boy # 1 and say "hey we all created that".....Then maybe Ry will pipe in with "yeah me too" //////Oh well what can a parent do but keep sending the positive vibe and encouragment to thier children and accept them for who they are......I love you dearly my creative Ry Ry........

7 comments:

Karen said...

It's funny how different kids can be. Mine are the same way. Billy can get up on stage and sing and dance, yet is shy in a goup of new people. Matt loves being the center of attention in sports, but not in anything else. Good luck to Ryan :) Hope he speaks up and gets credit where credit is due! It might have been easier for all the boys if they got up together. I feel for him.. I was always so shy as a kid. I wonder what happened to me!

Anonymous said...

Ryan RULES...he's probably gonna be the next Bill Gates or something. He's definitely the "little" sibling --think Mike Marotta or Emma Walsh -- who isn't comfortable in the spotlight -- but I have every confidence this will work out in his favor and someday he's just going to come out of nowhere and shock the $h!t out of everybody ...Normie

Anonymous said...

As I was reading this it could have been Andrew.............

Drew said...

If I had to pick between boisterous and reserved...I'd go with reserved everytime.
Merr Christmas, Stephie!

Anonymous said...

So the story played out like this......The boy took mostly al lof the credit but the teacher of the Lego Robotics class made sure he stated it was a group project during the class b/c I think Mr.Husson got the concept that the 3 back off boys were not stepping in to the lime light. Also funny Ry stated some of the art displays were "poorly drawn" lol ......Ok Ry lets not throw stones kido....Stephie

Dawn said...

I'm glad the teacher stepped up and gave credit to all 4 of the kids. I'd love to see some of the creations, maybe you can post a pic. Way to go Ryan.

Anonymous said...

Dawn
I wish I could post a pic...lol I am not comp savy.....MIL got us a new cam for Christmas and I hope M will get it running to do some posts.....Stephie