Thursday, December 07, 2006

ID

This is a funny one.........Norma is sure to remember this and laugh.....
When we were at the age to venture out of our neighborhood to the next town over Norma and I would take a bus really close to our houses and go to the "center" in Winthrop. We would go to ALL the shops and take our $10.00 plus bus money. We made sure to get lunch at McDonalds, very new to that area at the time. Like most pre-teens/teens of the 80's you carried an ESPRIT bag. You must recall the brightly colored cloth deep bags. In my ESPRIT bag was the must have brush and Aquanet to keep that BIG hair look staying as big as possible. Along with a wallet and lip gloss I was given by Nana Theresa a piece of cardboard the size of a credit card the read "I am a Catholic, in care of emergency call a priest"////////Yes it was a card that requested to call a priest NOT 911 or a doctor A PRIEST! Now we had a good laugh at this card thinking back at it when we were in our 20's but then at 12 years old I took this card very serious. lol .....Well maybe not. I also had paper with info about where I lived and phine #'s to call if I were to maybe GET LOST. I do not know. We were only aloowed to go to the CENTER......no furthur. I recall bying stickers at Billy Bagleys Pharmacy, it was a soda pop bar type store with a RX area. He was later busted for giving drugs to minors....those Bagley boys...remember that H!
This story comes to mind because in the mail today I got a calender and a mass schd. for the Christmas Masses being held at my grandmothers nursing home this season, AND what pretell was in this packet of goodies...Yes you guessed it AN ID card that you can fill out that states "I AM A CATHOLIC IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PLEASE CALL A PRIEST" Do you think they went to Nana T's room and asked for ideas to put in this mailing, or is it just a Catholic thing to do? I had to laugh when I saw the card and remember how funny it is to think that I was the card carrier all those years ago and I can still carry one today. I have an organ donar sticker on my Mass LI but should I also write in cast of emergency please say a prayer BUT PLEASE call 911! I think 911 and some paramedics may help but a prayer or two would not hurt either...But to first call the priest........yeah unless he went to school for MD or RN I really think calling a professional would be the first call after your call out to God for help b/c medical help can save lives.......So carry what you may but Thank Heavens for Nanas.........

6 comments:

Karen said...

That's a great story, Steph! I do remember those days of limited freedom and being so happy to be allowed to take the bus. For me it was Rozzie Square or the Dedham Mall. The mall didn't come until I was older because you had to walk quite a distance from the bus-stop. I remember walking with my girlfriend Barbara to the McDonalds in Hyde Park, which was one town over. We didn't realize how many miles it was and it took us hours. We both got in HUGE trouble! Was that cholesterol worth it? I don't even think they had happy meals or chicken nuggets in those days!

I never had a "Catholic Emergency Card", but that is a riot!

Anonymous said...

I do remember when they introduced Chic Mcnuggets......They were a hit with the sauce to dip....
Normie and I should of been stick figures with ALL the walking we did.......
One time we took two trains and a bus to go to AJB's house and I was so not surpose to go THAT far. His sweet mom served us PIZZA ROLLS and I got to meet his sister Loriann....AJB do U recall that?
WOW all heck hit the fan that I went THAT far......

Anonymous said...

You rebel! :) Karen

Anonymous said...

Steph, I remember thinking Michaels' Mall was the center of the universe.
And the bus ride seemed so long.
But it was a huge deal to go alone with your friends, something I doubt I'd ever let my kids do in this day and age.

And I do remember the pharmacy scandel..........

Norma said...

Oh, Stephie, you have me LOLing like an idiot here...I SOOOO ranked on you for having to carry that card...awesome memories...good times, good times. On that trip to Andy's house, I borrowed my father's T pass and LOST it! And it was only like the 7th of the month and he was PISSED 'cause he had to pay his fare for the next 3 weeks...

Drew said...

Great Story!

The big rebellion thing to do when I was young was to get on the train to Manhatten. My friend Danny and I did a few times (false starts--got off early) before we finally stayed on fo the full 30 minutes to the city. The train puts you right under Madison Square Garden. I can still smell the pee and burnt pretzles! Good timesssss. Mazel Mazel! ;-)