Saturday, December 09, 2006

80's Edition

I am on a pursuit to find the 80's Edition Game today from Trivial Pursuit. I am looking forward to seeing if I DO know lots about the 80's having been a child of them......We are heading to my oldest BIL's house tonight for our yearly dinner/game night before Christmas. We have a Yankee Swap of funny items ranging from Rock Salt to melt the snow to pot holders and serving spoons. I most always like to get the ICE MELT and they all know it b/c of our steep hilly driveway. It saves almost $11.00 when I get that handy gift. Our two contibutions to the swap this year are a grow it yourself head it grows herbs to cook with, that looks like a caveman if you ask me and a four pack of soap on a rope, really nice smells. It is just a fun little thing to have a laugh with a ten $ limit. He has an old victorian type home with lots of period details and is a stickler for things being in their place (gasp not a Raf boy) but always has dust everywhere and there is always a broken toilet in one of the bathrooms. Ryan asked us at dinner last night "how old is Uncle Johns house?" we said 100+....he said oh is that why the toilets don't always work and it is really scary in the downstairs bathroom? I know growing up to see a new house was very differnt. To even see a 20 year old house was like WOW that is so new. So I guess in this day and age with houses poppin up all around and Ryan never really living in a house that had any age to it, it is very differnt to see an OLD house like that up close. There have been updates since he bought the house 14 years ago but it still has the old charm feel to it. You could never build a house like this these days, it sure would cost a bundle to put so many old charm details. Ryan pointed out that his uncle once a peditrician now turned lazer doctor for lines and hair ect makes alot of money so why does his house have to be so old, can he afford to buy something else? We looked at eachotheracross the table and had the notion we have to set this boy straight. We were NEVER ones to put emphasis on a person by how old or new their house was nor by how large, small or how much they could spend. We asked him if there was something wrong with the fact that uncle had an old house? He said yeah mom you hate old houses .....AHHHHH Just because I am not found of living in an old house does not mean there is something wrong with it. It is not my style and I am not one for details like those in an older home. BUT RYAN there is nothing worng with uncle having the house he wants.......oh ok was what we got, then to the next topic. I guess I did not have to "set him" on the moral track, he just needed an answer and was not judging like I tought. We have always said it is the size of your heart that matters..........Right now my heart is saying I love these boys so much that I want to steer then in the best direction possible and have them be loving, helpful, compasionate boys that will turn into men that are just as strong and loving as their dad. Having said that off to the store with high hopes of finding this game. Maybe next post I will ask some 80's trivia and see just how 80's you are..........

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'll be curious to see if I know the answers to those 80s questions.

I love old houses.. but like you I wouldn't want to live in one because of the money pit thing. I agree with you about not judging. Our first house was very very small. It was my husband's grandparents house and only had 1 bathroom, no dishwasher and no basement. My boys LOVED that little house. Sometimes they would talk about our "rich" friends (from a nearby development) and I would say it doesn't matter how big your house it, it matters how much love is in your house.. and we have LOTS of love in our house! They were wonderful times and afforded me the luxury of raising my own children.... Now, I don't care the size of a person's house.. but I do care about the messiness of it. If I lived in a two room shack, it would still be the neatest homiest two room shack there is! I don't care how much money you have.. everyone can pick up a mop and a rag and clean house!
Have fun tonight!

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you .....Our saying is it is not the size of your house it is the size of your heart...and yes I agree that no matter how little it can still be a nice clean place....
As for the 80's questions....BOY WERE THEY HARD. Some of them were so hard. We just got home at 11:10 this eve...WOW that was a late night out for me. M and S went to a 900pm hockey game and we stayed at BIL's house with the others and played Sorry and the questions to the 80's game. Friday the 22nd we will have the 90's questions.
M got a day planner from the swap and I got a cheese board and bread warmer, lil size like for a mouse lol .....it was really cute. with a really little piece of cheese. LOL M got his day planner in Spanish that was the joke of that gift. Also there was a spinn this year. MIL put a $50.00 bill in her gift and gave a Woopie Cushion so the poor shlep that ended up with it tought it was a dud but when they opened the taped package the $50.00 fell out so they got the PRIZE> Stephen told Michael not to give up the Woopie Cusion b/c he wanted to have a field day with it and M gave it up...UGH .....The Spanish day planner will come in handy for Stephen who is learning Spanish, that is the only subject that kept him off the honor roll all a's and B's and a C- in that. He really dislikes the class and has a real hard time b/c his teacher speaks broken English and is on a VISA here from Spain. It is a big laungage barrier AND last year he did so well b/c he really was not forced to learn the way she is teaching but hey we told him it is still a subject and you have to pug away at it.. I think he has only one more year and after freshman year it can be an elective and he is electing not to take it lol .....Adios have a good night and I am wired from my Pom Juice and fizzy water lol I do not drink at all but you would think I was drunck from all the laughing we did.......Stephie