Sunday, September 16, 2007

Our son has a job......

You know your chidren are getting old when.......
One makes $11.00 per hour (HELLO) at his first (non-under the table) job. This summer he did landscaping for cash but was not officially employed. Tonight was his first night as an official tax deductiong person of America living the American dream. He is timekeeper for the hockey games at the 3 rinks near by. When I say near by I mean at the most 10 miles away. Some are closer. I think it is really good cash to keep trck of the time. I know you do have to know the game of hockey b/c you log penalties and other things. You have to know the signs for calls ect. I would gladly take the job ...lol IF I knew hockey that well....I should by now with all the watching I have done. Some other moms say I am really good at telling them what is going on during the game...HAH...It is b/c maybe you NEVER go to see your son play and I am faithfully there to watch and manage. LOL As we filled the working papers from the State and tax forms it brought back memories of the summer of '85 getting out of 8th grade and getting a ride from Nana T to the supermarket that she shopped at to fill out my applct. to be a bagger. I was moved up to cashier pretty fast then to the PRODUCE .......lol I can not even fatham that Stephen is old enough and resposible enough to go to a job. I have to keep reminding myself, we did well and tought him how to be a dependable kid and one who takes pride in what he does. It is still mindblowing I have a child old enough to get "working papers". The lady Linda from the previous post told me 12 years ago at a EBSB Christmas party, "the time flies you'll see" that was when her kids were about 14. My how time flies.......Cherish your time and loved ones.....Money does not matter in this life, health, faith, love, family and friends do. Without those you have nothing. Peace, love and Gods blessings to all..........

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, a job! And $11 an hour is really really good! That's more than I made when I did seasonal work taking inside catalog orders at WearGuard last Christmas season! Wow! When I was 14, I worked in a nursing home as a dietary aide and I can assure you I made no where near $11 an hour - probably $5 if I was lucky! Way to go! I bet he enjoys the work... what does Donald Trump say - something like make your vacation your vocation? Meaning do what you love! And I agree time flies by! Another quote... from Ferris Bueller - How's it go??? "Yup, life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you might miss it". :) Congrats to Stephen!

Anonymous said...

Yes me too at the market in '85 I think min wage was like $4.75.....Still min wage is only about $7. something. so when he is on the clock for 45 mins then has 5 mins to fill out the parer get it to the locker room, then has 10 min to get a snack inbetween games, the snack bar people let them get a drink and something for free. He can only work a min of 3 games at a time so 3.5 hours with working papers. Not bad huh! On the weekends he can pull a double shift if he does not stay past 9:30 pm ..All these child labor laws...It was like reading a book. He loves hockey so I am sure this is not major torture. LOL

Dawn said...

That sounds good esp w/ the free drink and snack! When I was in HS I worked at Sears in the children's department and I literally made $3.10 an hour because we were on commission but seriously, I don't think we raked in cash on the commission!

Anonymous said...

That is so mean to make a hs kid work off of commsnt./Like a HS kid wants to push people to buying....UGH Stephie

Karen said...

I hate commission. Way to go Stephen! Great job :)

My first job when I was 14 was in Jamaicia Plain at Doughboy Donuts. The man hired me at 3.40 which was 5 cents above minimum.. and the woman never like me :( One time she told me to stop sugaring those $#&%ing cups!! in front of customers.. I loved that job.. hot blueberry donuts right out of the oven. My parents dropped me off one morning at 6:30 a.m. and the woman told me I was laid off. My parents were going to the 7 a.m. mass and that was in the days before cell phones,. So I had to walk to Forest Hills and take the bus home. I sat up front and cried to the bus driver who made me feel so much better. What a mean lady. I think I cried all day - what comes around goes around!

Dawn said...

Karen, that was really lousy of them! I worked at Dunkin' Donuts for 7 years (and that's where I met my hubby!)... my favorite thing for break was a blueberry muffin and 3 honey dip munchkins warmed up with butter.... mmmmm!!!

Drew said...

What a great job for a kid. Good $$ too! I'd do that as a 2nd job!!!