Sunday, September 16, 2007

7 Months till retirement and then no more.....so sad...

As I have stated before my husband has been at his job for 20 plus years. He started as a teller in 12th grade then stayed there for his co-op for Northeastern. From that they hired him for a fulltime position in accounting...He has since made his way up the ladder with one dissapointment about 11 years ago, got over the pass up on that job and now is the Vice Pres of Operations. He has only two people over him, Exct. VP and CEO, He has always had some of the nicest bosses. His last position his boss for about 13 years took Michaels job when he got promoted. George was about 3 years close to retirement and really wanted to cool down his work pace. It was kind of a lateral move for him but it was not as responsibe as his last job was. Michael loved his last position b/c it mean only dealing with compliance of rules and regs. Very few interaction with people directly just STUFF......Michael is a laidback quiet man and it was just fine to stay in his office all day read the new rules and make sure stuff complied. (In my mind that must have been as boring as all hell) With his promotion, he was asked to take this on, did not have intentions of moving up.when asked I guess you say yes....., he has alot of differnt kinds of people to deal with and so many differnt aspects of the bank. I think it was a good move , with more $ comes more work but hey isn't that why he went for his Banking Masters anyway? SO this George man, I at first, was a little scared of him b/c he was "boss man" and had a dry I can't get him, scence of humor. As the years pasted, phone calls and bank events took place I really warmed up to him and loved his wife Linda the times we sat together at functions ect. March 08 would be time for Goerge to move on and retire early b/c he too was at the bank since creation. On his 62nd b-day he would be at full retirment benefits and was looking forward to travel, on land, Linda was not a flyer. In June Michael came home and said George fainted in work and was rushed to the hospital. Thinking he had a heartattack he was kept overnight at the hospital for tests. A man who had not been to the doctors for about 20 so odd years was then poked and probed and tested, the outcome was bad. He was told he has a really bad case of cancer and they can not tell what the outcome may be even with treatment. Being George he opted not to live his last days in hospitals but did go on a trip to Conn. with Linda. He was getting weaker as the months passed and Michael went to see him twice. He was not to keen on visitors unless it were his "kids"Michael and a girl Diane, from the bank that he was in charge of way back when. His wife is supper dependant on him, she never drove and her work was limited to the library at the kids school back when they were in school. They just had their first grandchild about 8 months ago and were so excited to have the next chapter of thier lives. Friday night when M came in from work he told me George had to go the hospital b/c the pain was just to bad. I could tell by this news it was not going to be good. When we got in from hockey yesterday there was a messg on our machine to call one of his 3 sons and I could just see the blood rush out of M's face. I just knew it was the end for George. Michael made several calls to other people at the bank to give the aweful news of Georges passing. It stinks to loose someone at any age. It just seems so weird that I lost my Papa when he was 60 and George too is maybe 2 years older than that.They said all those years ago when I was 9 he died so young, to a nine year old 60 was OLD now I say woah not so old after all... SO sad ........Michael and I keep thinking of Linda, who does not drive knows only of her and George and her 3 boys that are really far from where Linda lives. I hope she gets through this time with the peace of knowing he is out of pain now and has gone to a better place. Please keep in your prayers the strenght she needs to now go on even though George is not here.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Stephie, I'm so sorry for George. I hope his sons step up to bring Linda to live with one of them. This is when I truly wish it was like the old days, when families lived together and always took care of each other. Like Cher in Moonstruck :) living with her parents and grandfather, generations upon generations in one home... Give us an update when you know about where she will be and send warm thoughts to your husband.. He sounds like the perfect match for you.

Norma said...

oh, stephie, i remember you told me about him a couple of months ago...that's so sad; I'm sure michael is taking it hard.

Stephie Says..... said...

Thanks K and yes N he has been a bit on the sad side but trying to show smiles. I could tell it is eating him up. We will see what Wed/Thurs bring. I can tell he and I have been so nostalgic the past two days, you just can't help but to be.

Dawn said...

Stephie, I'm so sorry to hear about George's passing, he sounds like he was a wonderful person who had a special place in his heart for Michael. I will keep his wife in my prayers as she goes through this difficult time...