Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A gift from the heart.....Normies heart....


When I was my oldest sons age around 14 years old maybe a little younger my best freind Normie, two years older told me about a book she was reading in HS, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. She had so much passion for it and went on and on about it. I just HAD to read it. Off to the library bearly a black away from where we lived, she worked there b/c she was a bookworm. lol ........I saw the size of the book and tought, you want me to read this for the sake of reading it and not b/c it is manditory! I tried, it took a while.....I had to go to her many times to clear up things. I also did not get the 1900's concept until she pointed it out. I liked the book and stuck with it despite its size. Though I also HAD to do this for the passion Normie showed I did not want to let her down...She was Normie the smart one who knew tons, way miore than me. Like I said I liked it ...I did not fall in love with it, did not have the passion she had for reading.....UNTIL I was pregnant with Stephen, I got laid off from my job, thank goodness being a sick puppy for 9 months and besides a floral arainging class I took I stayed home the last 4 months of the pregnancy and cleaned as best I could and cooked and read. I would walk to the libray but never had a passion for books, until I revisited A Tree......Well I "GOT IT" all those years later and fell head over heals with it. I have since revisited that book several times since the kids were born. The last time I had to wait two weeks for our library to get a copy from one out of town. My boys were amazed at how I loved to go to my room and go to this other world. At the end of the book I had to change the pillow case b/c I still cryed my eyes out., just to no longer be apart of the book and its charcters. So the other day Normie posted about how Moby Dick was her favorite novel and I was like WHAT? I tought we were on the same page with the Tree Grows thing......I posted a comment about my dissapointment and stated the wrong author...OPPS...my bad......lol I said if I had the book I would of looked but I get it from the library and someday would love a copy of my own......I get an e-mail within minutes that states...Look out for a package in 3-5 buisness days from Amazon.com....I e-mail Normie and ask is she really early with the boys Christmas presents>>>>>>No It is a gift for you she sayd...I am like WHAT? She the awsome friend that she is takes it upon herself and just orders me a copy of my own. I am floored. I love her to pieces. I did not atall expect that. She is a doll. The thing is she knows things like that mean more to me than any expensive overinduldging things out there. Like the bag of garden tomatoes a hockey mom gave to me this Oct. She said "you would think I gave you gold" ..I told her it is things like that that matter to me more than any bought gift or gift that is just bought. It is the tought that counts....I now have tears in my eyes b/c of the pasion I I have for thoughtfulness.....In my book a little goes a long way. So to Normie I say your act of surprise means more to me than any amount of money. To receive that copy of my own will have a place in my heart and cherished for a lifetime....To some it may just be a book but ot me it is priceles.....Love xoxoxoxoxoox Stephie
Just got my copy in the mail...Gonna keep it in the car so when I am picking up or at hockey practive I will read it on the down/wait time......I can't wait to revisit Francie and Neely and Papa in "his dapper clothes"//////Thanks again Normie.....xoxooxox

7 comments:

Karen said...

Now I'm gonna have to read it!

Seriously though.. what a beautiful post and tribute to your friendship.. I'm with you, Stephie, that the little things touch my heart and move me.. I think we are very lucky people. :)

Anonymous said...

We truly are.........xoxoxoxo

PamelaAnne said...

Now i really want to read that book. think i still have a borders coupon. maybe that will be tomm's quest on my day off :) I read today, love you forever, its my favorite childrens book makes me cry everytime!

Norma said...

Yes, yes, you are all VERY lucky to know me, because I am so great! : ) Stephie, you know that book is the most personally meaningful to me, and probably the one I would take to a desert island if I had to choose. Love it and enjoy it.

Drew said...

You know...Krissy read this last year and has been bugging me to read it ever since. I think I better read it. (also, she's been bugging me to watch 'Almost Famous' with her...I should probably watch that too!)

Anonymous said...

Everyone READ THIS BOOK....It is awesome...Stephie

Dawn said...

I've heard of this book over the years but will now have to read it. That was such a nice post - you and Norma and so lucky to have each other.