Friday, March 23, 2012

SLOW DOWN!

I always have the honor of building special bears but yesterday was a grand honor. Local people in the Northshore may recall the terrible loss of life when Allie Castner was suddenly killed by a speeding car in Marblehead in '09, Well the entire time I am with this cute lil gal of about 9 years old I do not know the story behind why she is at the bear barn that day. When it came time to put the bear in her "cub condo" (no condo fees included) I said oh Allie I like that name for this pretty bear. Then the girl looked up at the adult who was with her and patted her head and gave her a squeeze. Still nothing with a story. So then I ask for the SFS club babw card so they can get their points and earn free stuff at BABW! So I type in the last name still not making the connection..then the 01945 knowing most all NS zips b.c of babw SFS program I know that is Mrblhd. So I saw there are 2 accnts for that addr...Allie and Pam...So the adult says please close the Allie one she is no longer with us and I get a bulb go off and well up with tears and say "Slow Down for Allie" and she smiled and said IT DID MAKE AN IMPRESSION THAT IS WHAT WE WANTED BY MAKING THOSE BUMPER STICKERS>So the adult says this is Allies sister and she was so happy to get you today b/c when she comes here she loves your energy and today she made the bear to look like Allie so she could feel close to her. WELL!!! To hold back the tears was not easy. I give the 9 year old credit b/c she was a trooper. During the "dress me" time I commented on how stylish the bear looked and that she was a very trendy lookin bear. That is why she was making her so trendy to look like her sister who passed away 3 years ago. Well my heart as bitter/sweet as that is breaks knowing that Allie was taken from so many at such a young HS age all b/c of another youngster driving way to fast. So many lives damaged not just one. As I end this post I leave you with...I am honored to make a bear just for the sake of making a bear as well as making a bear that is so special that it is to fill a void of a lost family member as well. I have many bear barn stories from the past 7 years and they stay so close to my heart. I do call my self a Master Bear Builder and I hope that my mastery shows with ALL my guests every shift I am there. I AM BEARIFIC! B bearific b e a r ic fic! You never know what one is going through so always be nice and kind!

2 comments:

Stephie Says..... said...

OH MY GAWD..I just realized how the gal had butterflies on her shirt and a butterfly watch and I commented how beautiful they are and loooking at the sticker there is a butterfly in the backround...Here come the tears again.

Dawn said...

Wow, what a touching story. Glad she enjoyed making her bear in honor of her sister. We should all remember to slow down and drive safely. Thanks for sharing.