Monday, December 05, 2011

Date and Nut Bread!


http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/old-fashioned-date-nut-bread-689213/
Nana T used to make delish things and Date and Nut Bread being one of her A+ could win a Blue Ribbon items. I recall being at Mann Orchards and seeing a loaf holding it up to my nose and tears streamed down my face when Michael handed it to me b/c it WAS as if I were a child again holding that similar smell to my nose at the table in the kitchen of 90 Barnes Ave. He also LOVED her special cream cheese sweetened whipped spread. OH so yummy! I am making some of these loaves this year. I know I do not have her recipe but will try this one sent in an e-mail from the Disney site. We will see. I will post about them. Funny how I don't have any obligation to go to the Don Orione Home now that Nana T has passed. Before we would make sure to include a trip there at some point of the weekend or my Wed afternoon visit alone. So was saying this at breakfast Sunday to Ryan and Michael and before Michael could answer Ry says you can still go see her and I was like oh ok! shoulder shrugs! He said at the cemetery. I smiled at my kind hearted boy who said what his dad was going to say but it is so not the same. So in our travels yesterday Michael drove by the cemetery. I can honestly say I feel closer to her in the comfort of my own home looking at the ornaments she gave us way back in '92 and the most resent one I got and put a pic of her and I in. It is is favorite color powder blue. I feel most comforted looking at photos of her wrapped in the last afgan she made, once again a powder blue color. As I look back to the color selection we made in our first house in 91 we had powder blue I think everything in our dining and living room. Now that I think of it was that her influence indirectly? Just like you don't have to be in a 4 wall building called a church to feel close to God you don't have to be at the final resting place of your loved one to feel close to them.

1 comments:

Norma said...

If you don't sit in a church for three hours every Sunday and talk about how holy you are 24/7, you are going to Hell. Everyone knows that's how it works. It's in the Bible.